I have used this recipe many times for brunches with friends & around detroit for pop-ups and catering. Every time, rave reviews. These patties are pretty easy, packed with protein & have a really intricate flavor profile. The mesquite powder really takes them to the next level. Great as a side or (my fav) in a breakfast sandwich.
TEMPEH BREAKFAST PATTIES
8 ounces tempeh, cut in half
enough water to cover tempeh in pan (save water for mixing)
1 tsp better than bullion (veg or no-chicken)
1/3-1/2 cup of bullion water to mix with all ingredients
1/4 cup rolled oats
2 Tablespoons Bragg's Liquid Aminos
1 Tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 clove of garlic minced
pinch of nutmeg
Pinch of mesquite powder or liquid smoke (a little goes a long way)
1 teaspoon each of sage
1 teaspoon of thyme
1tsp fennel seed crushed
2 Tablespoons of oil for frying (make sure it’s high heat)
1) In a small saucepan, add tempeh and enough water to just cover tempeh. As you’re bringing water to a boil, dissolve bullion. Once boiling turn heat medium-low to simmer for 10 minutes.
2) Remove tempeh, cool, cut in strips and then crumble with hands into a mixing blow. Mix tempeh with the rest of the ingredients (use only 1/3 cup bullion water at first) besides the oil for frying. Add in rest of bullion water if mixture is not moist enough. Mixture should be moist enough to press into patties but not too watery or dry as they will fall apart.
3) Mixture will make 8-10 patties. For consistency in patty size, use ¼ cup or 1/3 cup dry measure. Let cool in fridge for 15-20 min.
4) Heat oil in a large skillet (pref cast iron). Brown patties on each side over medium high heat (about 3 min per side), flipping with a spatula.
5) If you want maple flavored sausage take a small juice glass and add 6tbs water and 3 tbs maple syrup. 1 minute before taking sausage out of pan, add 1 tsp of maple-water mixture to each patty. yummmm
Adapted from vegancoach.com - vegan tempeh sausage patties