French toast was always something I enjoyed as a kid. Whether my mom made it at home or ordering it out to breakfast, it was always a treat!
Being a health coach & having been on my own wellness journey, I always try to make my favorite recipes healther. Here is my take on traditional french toast that has less sugar, sprouted bread & more fruit! It's sure to be a weekend favorite! Enjoy :)
Sprouted Superfood French Toast
serves 3 people-2 pieces each
-6 slices of sprouted bread: preferably Ezekiel cinnamon raison
-organic eggs: 3 large or 4 regular
-1/4 cup water
-1/2 tsp cinnamon
-1 tsp vanilla
-2 tsp flax seeds: preferably toasted
-2 tsp chia seeds
-1 tsp hemp hearts
-pinch of salt
-coconut or grapeseed oil
-REAL maple syrup, honey or agave
-fresh berries, bananas & fruits
1. add eggs and water to a shallow bowl wide enough to lay a piece of bread in & beat.
2. add all ingredients from cinnamon to salt & beat again
3. with enough oil to coat, bring a frying/saute pan (wide enough to lay 1 or 2 pieces of toast in it) to medium heat.
4. setting up an assebly line next to the stove, coat a piece of bread in egg mixture (both sides) using a fork
5. transfer to the hot pan on the stove. depending on the heat output, cook each side from 1-3 minutes until coating is browned to your liking and middle is cooked through to your liking. Repeat
6. Prep fresh fruit while cooking french toast
How to eat!
1. plate your amazing french toast
2. top with fruit, possibly more flax & hemp
3. drizzle with REAL maple syrup, honey or agave