Vegan Portobello Mac n Cheese, Sesame Kale Salad, Broccoli With Toasted Breadcrumbs
Updated: Aug 30, 2020
Last week I did a cooking class for Detroit Venture Partners as a team building exercise. We tried out the 3 dishes below which were received well by the mostly omnivore crowd. We talked health, food & nutrition. About not having time to cook, eating the unhealthy food our kids eat & not having inspiration to cook for one. We discussed how when we cook our own food is it more nourishing, that we know exactly whats in it & how it can be fun and relaxing. In the hour & a half we were together all 3 of the below recipes were not only made but eaten. Give these a try & let me know what you think!
Broccoli with Toasted Breadcrumbs
vegan//gluten free option
This is a dish inspired by my Sicilian grandmother. It is warming, flavorful & interactive in texture. It reminds me of growing up but also that a simple steamed vegetable dish can be sophisticated & fun.
The dirt on broccoli: LOTS OF FIBER, DETOXING, IMPROVES VIT D DEFICIENCY VIA VITAMIN K, VITAMIN C
1 lb broccoli cut into bite-size pieces or larger for fork & knife. The stalk is just as good as the tops, so keep about 4 or 5" and use it in this dish.
1c bread crumbs (panko works best)Whole foods has gluten-free
1-2tbs vegetable oil OR coconut oil (high burning point)
¼ tsp granulated garlic
¼ tsp granulated onion
1tsp dried basil or any dried herb. be creative!
¼ tsp sea salt
1 lemon (optional)
How to put it together
1.Cut and clean broccoli
2. Place in pan/pot with a couple tbs of water on med/hi until broccoli is bright green and can be stabbed with a fork. Try not to over cook. The broccoli will get sad.
3. While broccoli is steaming put one cup of breadcrumbs in a pan on medium/high heat with garlic, onion, basil and salt. Cover with 1-2tbs of oil. Stir constantly until the breadcrumbs are browned to your liking.
4. Strain broccoli and plate it. Pour breadcrumbs on top. Serve with a lemon wedge.
Simple Sesame-Kale Salad OR Steamed Sesame Kale
vegan//gluten free option
Even if you are not romantically involved with kale, someone you know is. Let's face it: kale is the new black and for good reason. 2 options for this dish because sometimes you just want some warm greens & other times you just need roughage (The Campaign reference).
The dirt on kale: PROTEIN, FIBER, IRON, DETOXING , VITAMINS K,A,C
1 lg bunch of kale
1/4c soy sauce. Bragg's or tamari for gluten free
1/3c rice wine vinegar
1tbs sesame seeds
1 tbs sesame oil
This is how we do it
1. wash, de-spine kale & cut or tear into smaller pieces. Place in a large aluminum tray or deep cake sheet.
2. combine soy, vinegar, sesame seeds & oil in a bowl/cup and whisk.
FOLLOW 3 & 4 IF MAKING STEAMED KALE. SKIP TO 4 IF NOT.
3. get sink water as hot as it goes or boil a pot of water. Submerge kale in water until it is bright green (1-2 min)
4. strain kale & put back in to the tray