Updated: Aug 30, 2020
Last week I did a cooking class for Detroit Venture Partners as a team building exercise. We tried out the 3 dishes below which were received well by the mostly omnivore crowd. We talked health, food & nutrition. About not having time to cook, eating the unhealthy food our kids eat & not having inspiration to cook for one. We discussed how when we cook our own food is it more nourishing, that we know exactly whats in it & how it can be fun and relaxing. In the hour & a half we were together all 3 of the below recipes were not only made but eaten. Give these a try & let me know what you think!
Broccoli with Toasted Breadcrumbs
vegan//gluten free option
This is a dish inspired by my Sicilian grandmother. It is warming, flavorful & interactive in texture. It reminds me of growing up but also that a simple steamed vegetable dish can be sophisticated & fun.
The dirt on broccoli: LOTS OF FIBER, DETOXING, IMPROVES VIT D DEFICIENCY VIA VITAMIN K, VITAMIN C
1 lb broccoli cut into bite-size pieces or larger for fork & knife. The stalk is just as good as the tops, so keep about 4 or 5" and use it in this dish.
1c bread crumbs (panko works best)Whole foods has gluten-free
1-2tbs vegetable oil OR coconut oil (high burning point)
¼ tsp granulated garlic
¼ tsp granulated onion
1tsp dried basil or any dried herb. be creative!
¼ tsp sea salt
1 lemon (optional)
How to put it together
1.Cut and clean broccoli
2. Place in pan/pot with a couple tbs of water on med/hi until broccoli is bright green and can be stabbed with a fork. Try not to over cook. The broccoli will get sad.
3. While broccoli is steaming put one cup of breadcrumbs in a pan on medium/high heat with garlic, onion, basil and salt. Cover with 1-2tbs of oil. Stir constantly until the breadcrumbs are browned to your liking.
4. Strain broccoli and plate it. Pour breadcrumbs on top. Serve with a lemon wedge.
Simple Sesame-Kale Salad OR Steamed Sesame Kale
vegan//gluten free option
Even if you are not romantically involved with kale, someone you know is. Let's face it: kale is the new black and for good reason. 2 options for this dish because sometimes you just want some warm greens & other times you just need roughage (The Campaign reference).
The dirt on kale: PROTEIN, FIBER, IRON, DETOXING , VITAMINS K,A,C
1 lg bunch of kale
1/4c soy sauce. Bragg's or tamari for gluten free
1/3c rice wine vinegar
1tbs sesame seeds
1 tbs sesame oil
This is how we do it
1. wash, de-spine kale & cut or tear into smaller pieces. Place in a large aluminum tray or deep cake sheet.
2. combine soy, vinegar, sesame seeds & oil in a bowl/cup and whisk.
FOLLOW 3 & 4 IF MAKING STEAMED KALE. SKIP TO 4 IF NOT.
3. get sink water as hot as it goes or boil a pot of water. Submerge kale in water until it is bright green (1-2 min)
4. strain kale & put back in to the tray
5. Mix dressing into kale by hand or with tongs. If serving raw, it is better to work the dressing in by hand, essentially massaging it in, because it will break down the toughness.
6. Enjoy & share
Portobello Mac n' Cheese
vegan//gluten free option
RETURN OF THE MAC. This dish is always a hit. Everyone wants the great feeling comfort foods bring but not the added cholesterol belly bloat, or weighed down feeling that these rich foods usually produce. In this vegan recipe of a traditional favorite, there are lots of nutrients & it's a great treat to have on a cold day or when entertaining. And believe me, when you're entertaining, you'll knock their socks off!
The dirt on mushrooms: CANCER FIGHTING, AIDS IN IMMUNE FUNCTION, ANTIOXITANTS
The dirt on nutritional yeast: HIGH IN B12, PROTIEN, FIBER
The dirt on turmeric: ANTI-INFLAMMATORY, CANCER PREVENTION
Portobello Mac n’ Cheese
2 lb organic or gluten free pasta
1/4tsp sea salt
4 portobello mushroom caps
1½ c of unsweetened non-dairy milk (i use almond)
1½ c nutritional yeast
¾ c vegetable or coconut oil
8oz firm tofu
1tbs garlic powder
¼ tsp red pepper flakes (optional)
½-1 tsp turmeric
1tbs sea salt or more to taste
How to do that thang
11. Preheat oven to 350. Fill pot with suggested amount of water & ¼ tsp sea salt. Bring water to a boil, add pasta & use directions on bag to cook.
22. While boiling pasta finely chop mushrooms and place in a colander in the sink
33. When pasta is done, pour into colander on top of mushrooms (to par-cook them) and flush with cold water to halt cooking process. Drain all water and move contents to baking pan. Drizzle with a little oil and toss so noodles don’t stick,
44. Sauce: in a food processor combine all ingredients from milk to salt & blend until smooth. Taste & adjust according to liking
55. Pour cheese over noodles & mushrooms
66. Bake intil pasta is slightly golden on top. 15-20min
77. Eating: use self control & don't forget to share
#detroitgypsykitchenfooddemo #detroithealthcoach #detroitvegancaterer #detroitveganchef #veganbroccoliwithtoastedbreadcrumbs #veganportobellomacncheese #vegansesamekalesalad #kalerecipe #broccolirecipe #veganmacrecipe #detroitgypsykitchen #instituteforintegrativenutrition #naturallyempowered #stephanieselvaggio